Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises - continued

David Johnson wrote:
Give a newbie a blank hard drive and copies of windows and, say, Fedora
or Ubantu (I don't know mandrake, that might be better). In my
experience, more people would get a functioning desktop running with
windows first.

You mustn't forget that when you install Linux, you're not just getting a blank desktop - you're getting several gigabytes of additional software as well.

I think that's highly dependant on what you choose to install.

Compare the installation process for any single-disc Linux distro with Windows XP and you'll get a working desktop much quicker and (in my opinion) more easily.

And that's a highly personal viewpoint of what a "working desktop" is. If it works for you, great, but for a newbie, wouldn't they get confused?

--
Simon Avery