Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises - continued

Paul Sutton wrote:
On this I remember struggling like hell to get my laptop modem to work under XP, it could not find the drivers on teh cdrom, (i had to attempt to search for them), I eneded up downloading them or part of them, buring to cd then, having to decipher something about signed drivers, rebooting a few times and it was a real pain, I think i gave up and installed Linux anyway.

Installed linux to get a modem working? Novel... :)

Yours is a valid point, but I think it's the exception rather than the rule. Hardware vendors still rush out documentation without proofing it at all, and some give the impression of very amateur operations when they're not, through poor support. I think this area still needs a lot of work, and that's not restricted to any OS.

Maybe one day customers will stop buying the cheapest thing, and support companies that support them back?

Installed suse whatever it was at the time, modem detected, modem worked , no hassle, no fuss it just worked.

Great, but not that common ime. Linux's network support is superb, but in other hardware areas it's pretty weak. I've wasted far too many hours tracking down obscure ways of getting hardware to work under linux that worked first time under windows to say I'm unbiased here, though.

Linux can work, so can windows. I am working against a Windows user, who knows what he is doing, and can fix things, so when it does not work under Linux, Linux gets labelled as unable to do the job.

Horses for courses, each OS has strengths and weaknesses. I don't use Windows as an internet server, I don't use Linux as a home desktop and gaming platform. That doesn't make one better than the other at anything other than specific tasks.

--
Simon Avery