Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises - continued

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:07:39 +0000
Simon Avery <flash@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Eg: 6 days on and off trying to install a usb HP scanner under FC2. XP =
  2 minutes (not even a reboot). PnP WORKS on Windows, and sometimes for
Linux.

I'm sorry, but I (for one) find this argument both tedious and ineffectual.

You say that PnP works on Windows?  By any chance did you have to install the
drivers *before* plugging in the HP Scanner?  And where did those drivers come from?
My guess is that the drivers that allows you to use yout USB Scanner under Windows
XP sure as hell did not come with Windows XP.  They came on a "drivers and
documentation disc" that was sitting nicely in the box along side your Scanner and
cables.

I know it is a technicality, but it certainly is *NOT* a trivial one.  Windows XP
does not support more hardware than Linux.  More hardware manufacturers support
Windows XP.

If you had a problem with your scanner, or you wanted to get the latest drivers for
it, where would you head?  Microsoft.com or hp.com?  If you want your scanner to
work under Linux, do not blame Linux when it doesn't.  Tell HP that you want them to
support Linux.  Tell your hardware vendor that you want to use hardware that works
under Linux.

If you don't tell anyone that is involved in the
development/production/advertising/sale of a given piece of hardware that you want
to use it with Linux, then you shouldn't complain that no-one supports it.

Huge problems. This is always going to cause major strife until the
manufacturers support it themselves. 3rd party driver support is all
very well, but it's prone to slow, late and buggy software. (Personal
experience)

Thankfully I've not had that problem.  I have had hardware that either works or
doesn't work, I've not had something that is flaky or buggy.

What Linux needs to do is talk to a specific hardware manufacturer and
persuade them to develop linux stuff, then SUPPORT THAT COMPANY BEYOND
ANY OTHER. Only that way will other companies see that it's worthwhile
supporting linux.

Surely this approach would push Linux further into a niche market?  It isn't the
responsibility of the OS developers to support hardware developers/vendors, it is
the responsibility of the hardware developers/vendors to support OSs.  To clarify
what I said above: they ain't gonna support Linux if they don't know you're using
it.  Tell THEM.

Maybe some form of happy penguin sticker "Linux supported" on the
packaging could help, licenced by Linux HQ. (Think little-red-tractor on
food)

Already happens in some places.  The "documentation" that came with my USB key (from
LIDL) said it works under Linux 2.4 kernel series.  As did my card reader.  They
didn't actually have the little Tux logo, but it was mentioned on the box.  My
printer (Samsung MLxxxx) *did* have a Tux logo.  Bought from Asda.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.