Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises - continued

Personally, I don't find GNU/Linux all that easy to use.

GNOME 2.8 is getting better, but it's not as easy as it could be.. look at
Mac OS X - that's an example of easy to use, because you never have to worry
about terminals or kernels or any of that. I've never patched a kernel, and
I don't think I really should want to do that.

What a GNU/Linux desktop machine needs, in my opinion:-

* A decent browser and only one browser. Firefox is this.

* A decent email client, doesn't need too many features. I've not seen this.
Apple OS X Mail is this.

* A media player that just works. Works in the browser as a plugin too -
plays media from Windows Media, Real, QuickTime, plus the free formats
(Theora, etc). Think QuickTime.

* A music jukebox that rips, organises and plays a variety of common music
formats. Think iTunes.

* Debian on crack packaging - use deb to deliver updates in a way that's
simple. I don't care if perl 4.4.232.32.23.3.23.23.32.131.3.5343.43 is out.
I just want it wrapped in with a bunch of other updates nicely packaged as
'Software Update for 10th Dec 04'

* Plug and play for things like USB keys, Firewire drives, iPods, Flash
memory cards

* Fast User Switching - XP and OS X have this. It's cool.

* Photo organisation - I should be able to plug in my camera, have my photos
sucked onto my computer and filed into nicely organised albums.

matt