[LUG] Gnome keyboard map oddness

Hi all,

I'm having a small but annoying issue with either X or Gnome (I'm not entirley
sure which is creating the problem, but I don't get this when using the
console).  This is on a pretty well patched Gentoo 2004.2.

I'm having problems typing certian characters such as " ' ~.

Usually, in a terminal I have to type the tilde (~) twice for it to appear once.
In a terminal the single quote/apostrophe (') doesn't work at all unless I copy
& paste it.

I can type a single quote in other apps (Evolution, Open Office), but I again
have to type it twice to get it to appear properly.  If I don't the letter after
the single quote gets accented, e.g. é instead of 'e.

The gnome settings tool seems to think I'm using the UK keyboard map, but this
behaviour makes me thing some keyboard setting is wrong somewhere.

Has anyone any ideas on this?

Cheers,
Alex.