[LUG] 802.11g support an open source success

Hi all,

I have spent some time hanging around the ralink forum over the last few
months as I ended up with a 802.11g card with their driver chip in it. They
had a source code driver on their site but it was not GPL.  I tinkered with
the code (technically against the licence) and actually helped one of their
programmers fix a problem they were having with RFMON mode. But i and others
expressed that this sort of help would come in larger (and better) quality if
the driver was GPL'd.

Today, after much asking they have released the code under the GPL and it is
immediately being ported into the rt2400 driver to form a rt2XXX driver. So
hopefuly this will now lead to a stable driver for linux and kernel inclusion
and as this chip is now appearing in many cards it sould provide a good
(manufacturer) supported 802.11b/g solution for linux and other open systems.

While the driver is a bit beta quality right now this should soon change, so
if you are looking for a 802.11g card consider a ralink as they support open
source!

Web addresses:-

ralink - http://www.ralinktech.com
sourceforge project page - http://sourceforge.net/projects/rt2400