RE: [LUG] BT BROADBAND MODEM

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Jon Haynes
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2004 5:31 PM
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] BT BROADBAND MODEM

The hassle-free solution is to dump the modem and get a router instead. Bit
more expensive, but guaranteed to work with any operating system (well any
one with networking anyway).

The nice thing about a router is that it's a generally a self-contained
little machine with embedded Linux pre-installed on it. You simply plug it
in to your existing network (usually 192.168.1.1) and configure it using a
web browser interface.

Obviously you don't want to hear this as you've just bought a new modem...
sorry

Jon

Craig said:
After over 6 months of fighting with my BT VOYAGER 100, I've given up.
Tried everything to get it to work with LINUX and to get rid of
Windoze. Talked to BT and they are sending me a VOYAGER 205, Ethernet
modem, for £25 of course.  Is there anything special to set this up?
I would think with an
Ethernet connection to my main machine it would do most the work and I'd
have no problem with Linux.  I get the modem on Friday, I guess I'll find
out then.

CRaig

I forgot to mention I picked up a Belkin wireless router to use with the
ethernet modem. I've lived in 3 different countries in the last 8 years.
Didn't want to buy an all in one modem/wireless router to have it not work
in another country.  Figured the wireless router could move with me and the
modem could be replaced in whatever country is next.
As always thanks for the help.

Craig