[LUG] Anyone else played around with Gambas?

Hi all.

I've been playing around with Gambas this past few days.  I think we (the Free/Open
community) could (potentially) be on to a winner here!

For those that haven't heard of it, Gambas is a VB-alike.  The IDE is _very_ similar
to VB, and the language is also scarily similar, but there are some noticeable
differences.

I've taken quite a shine to it since I've never really got anywhere with other
languages.  I did a fair bit of bottom-end-of-the-spectrum programming in VB back in
the day (I'm talking many, many years before I even heard about Linux, let alone get
into it) and it's been really quite easy for me to pick it up again.

Just wondering if any of you peeps have/do use it?

The only bad point I can think of about it _at the moment_ is that it uses its own
compiler.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the compiler itself is only
available if you install the whole Gambas project (not including the addons).  I
have suggested to Benoît (the developer) that GBC be separated into a discreet
"package" so that you don't necessarily need the whole of Gambas to install/compile
Gambas source projects.  I await his response.

Cheers all.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.