Re: [LUG] A Debian diary - the sequel

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 11:01 pm, Tony Sumner wrote:
4  the keyboard was dead and I couldn't log in to kde. I could use the
   mouse to get a console login, logged in as root (the keyboard is ok
   now) and typed startx which got the kde desktop but the keyboard
   was still dead.

If the keyboard works in a console login and doesn't in a graphical login, the
problem is in the X server config.

5  I unplug everything, take it downstairs again and plug ethernet into
   the router. I can log in to kde quite normally and I spend a half-hour
   or so enjoying a surf.

Which makes me concerned about the behaviour of the wireless adaptor. Try not
using it completely for a while.

6  Suddenly firefox stops responding and I can't ping. CTRL-ALT-F1 works
   so I log in as root. Ping still fails. ifconfig says that eth0 is
   bound to 192.168.0.5

As later, this is a problem with your ADSL connection. It's easier here if you
have a local box that you can ping.

7  Alt 7, back to kde. The keyboard is now quite dead and the ethernet led
   on the router is not flickering. CTRL-ALT-F1 no go.
8  Go off to write this down while I remember it.
9  I unplug and replug the router, fire up Windows and everything works.
10 I log out of Windows, unplug ethernet, plug in the wireless adapter
   and boot up. The keyboard is dead. The adapter is fine of course
   because I can log in on a VT and work normally. I just can't get to
   kde.

Just wondering if the wireless adaptor is causing problems. Try using the
machine without wireless - in X and in console, from boot and using
Ctrl-Alt-F1.

My conclusion is that debian is seriously flaky.

Your particular installation has some problems but that's down to your config
and your hardware - there's nothing flaky about Debian stable.

   strange interaction between ethernet and the keyboard. When I try to
   start with ethernet unplugged the bootup sequence detects that an
   ethernet card is present and tries to run dhcp. I get messages
   like 'DHCPDISCOVER trying ...' over and over

It's looking for a DHCP server on your network. Usually, your ADSL router can
be configured to provide DHCP. Otherwise, it's a little bit of config. You
can set the IP of the box in /etc/network/interfaces
Mine:
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
       address 192.168.0.1
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       network 192.168.0.0
       broadcast 192.168.0.255
       gateway 192.168.0.7

You should be able to extrapolate yours from that.

With a static IP defined, the lack of DHCP won't cause delays.

   and I cut them out with
   ^C, then the keyboard freezes.

Solve the IP problem first. Using Ctrl-C is more likely to cause problems with
the rest of the setup as you can end up with some parts of the setup
incomplete.

   Suppose I could disable eth0 then

No, just configure it.

   maybe the wireless adapter would have a chance.

As long as each device has it's own IP, you can sort out dynamic stuff later.
If the wireless adaptor uses 192.168.0.5, use 192.168.0.6 for eth0 or
whatever.

11 In /etc/network/interfaces there is a line 'auto eth0 on'. I comment
   that out and try again. No change.

don't comment it out, configure it IN.

Can you tell me please how I stop the boot sequence trying to bring eth0
up?

You don't need to do that (and probably don't want to either). If it's not
connected, a static IP isn't going to cause any problems.

--

Neil Williams