Re: [LUG] A Debian diary

From: Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

By the sounds of it, one thing I neglected to mention was that the entire
Package List is always available on Debian:
$ apt-cache search xserver

That is true but it assumes you know what to look for. It's much
easier if you have the whole package list to browse through. If the
installer is not going to provide me with a stand-alone X system then
there should be something somewhere that tells me what to apt-get.
Maybe it is too difficult to install at home and you have to go to an
install-fest.

However, laptops classically require manual tinkering with the X
configuration. You can read more on this on the DCLUG site:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_news/dist-reviews/mandrake/neil-laptop.php
(amongst others).

Yes, thanks. Also there is some very good stuff in
http://tuxmobil.org/dell.html specifically on the Latitude C600.

My first port of call in ALL such situations is Knoppix. If Knoppix
works, Debian will work, it's all down to the config. With a working
Knoppix XF86Config, you're half-way home.

Only halfway :-)?  But what sort of XF86Config problem would cause the
keyboard to go into a coma?

Tony Sumner