Re: [LUG] A Debian diary - the sequel

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 09:11:39PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

The kind of keyboard is defined in XF86Config - 101key, 105key
etc. Check that first. Backup your existing XF86Config (or
XF86Config-4) and then run xf86config as root. One of the first
questions is keyboard details. You can fluff the rest of it, just
let it save the final file and compare the keyboard
settings...

I am sure this is not an XF86Config problem. To continue the diary ...

1  [recap] I installed debian sarge and after initial hesitation got X,
  kdm and kde working nicely. I even found Mozilla Firefox in the menu.
2  I apt-got the wireless driver linux-wlan-ng and installed it.
3  Since I no longer needed ethernet I unplugged all the cables and took
  the PC up two flights of stairs to the eyrie.
4  the keyboard was dead and I couldn't log in to kde. I could use the
  mouse to get a console login, logged in as root (the keyboard is ok
  now) and typed startx which got the kde desktop but the keyboard
  was still dead.
[now read on]
5  I unplug everything, take it downstairs again and plug ethernet into
  the router. I can log in to kde quite normally and I spend a half-hour
  or so enjoying a surf.
6  Suddenly firefox stops responding and I can't ping. CTRL-ALT-F1 works
  so I log in as root. Ping still fails. ifconfig says that eth0 is
  bound to 192.168.0.5
7  Alt 7, back to kde. The keyboard is now quite dead and the ethernet led
  on the router is not flickering. CTRL-ALT-F1 no go.
8  Go off to write this down while I remember it.
9  I unplug and replug the router, fire up Windows and everything works.
10 I log out of Windows, unplug ethernet, plug in the wireless adapter
  and boot up. The keyboard is dead. The adapter is fine of course
  because I can log in on a VT and work normally. I just can't get to
  kde.

My conclusion is that debian is seriously flaky.

11 No, but wait, hang about. If ping fails then the connection is down,
  which happens occasionally when ADSL drops. Suppose there is a
  strange interaction between ethernet and the keyboard. When I try to
  start with ethernet unplugged the bootup sequence detects that an
  ethernet card is present and tries to run dhcp. I get messages
  like 'DHCPDISCOVER trying ...' over and over and I cut them out with
  ^C, then the keyboard freezes. Suppose I could disable eth0 then
  maybe the wireless adapter would have a chance.
11 In /etc/network/interfaces there is a line 'auto eth0 on'. I comment
  that out and try again. No change.

Can you tell me please how I stop the boot sequence trying to bring eth0
up? Short of clawing the card out. That might just be the solution.

Tony Sumner

PS Textpresso looks good. If you work at the University of Reading it is
quite hard to get articles on the teaching of reading.