Re: [LUG] Knoppix install

On Monday 15 November 2004 2:38 am, Keith Abraham wrote:
I'm going to attempt a Knoppix/Debian install during the week
on a machine with a new hard drive. (GNU/Linux only.)

Would anyone like to advise me on the merits of installing
across multiple partitions and which parts of the system
should be on these partitions.

1. Multiple partitions make upgrading easier with other distributions:
Putting /home on a separate partition means you can blitz / if you want to
upgrade. However, for Debian, that's not necessary - every upgrade, including
kernels, can be managed without ever re-installing the base system. That
install CDR is a use-once item.

2. Security. If your system is internet-visible, there is some merit in
separating user space areas from system areas across a separate partition.
This can (I'm told) make it slightly harder for some attacks to get out of
relatively harmless areas. Others here will confirm whether this is still
true or urban myth.

3. If partitions already exist, why not use them? GNU/Linux really doesn't
care about partitions - you can mount them however you like and put the /
directory on whichever one you like. You'll need a partition for swap space
anyway.

4. Also on security, if you are really keen, you can mount certain partitions
as read-only, e.g. /boot. It means rebooting with options if you want to
install a new kernel and is more useful for servers or other boxes that
aren't fiddled with a lot.

My /etc/fstab (snippet)
/dev/hda5       /               ext2    errors=remount-ro       0       1
/dev/hdb10      none            swap    sw                      0       0
/dev/hdb1       /mnt/mdk91      ext2    user,noauto             0       0
/dev/hdb5       /opt            ext2    defaults                0       2
/dev/hdb7       /var            ext2    defaults                0       2
/dev/hdb8       /usr/share      ext2    defaults                0       2
/dev/hdb9       /home           ext2    defaults                0       2

hdb is faster which is why I use hda for only one current directory. I don't
use ext3 because I haven't got round to it - I have used it on other
machines.

df -h output

/dev/hda5             4.7G  2.1G  2.4G  47% /
/dev/hdb5             7.5G  1.8G  5.3G  26% /opt
/dev/hdb7             6.9G  896M  5.7G  14% /var
/dev/hdb8             6.8G  1.1G  5.3G  18% /usr/share
/dev/hdb9              20G  3.3G   16G  18% /home

Also which file systems are best for each part of the system.

Personally:
I wouldn't recommend a journalled filesystem (like ext3 or Reiser) for any
partition that has a high write requirement, like a database. Journalling is
fine for user space.

I'd also say that journalling /usr/share is a waste of time, as might be the
case with other system directories, although /etc/ could be useful it is
probably just as easy to backup relevant config files elsewhere. You would
rarely need the entire /etc/ space.

More usefully, (especially with Debian), make use of EVERY opportunity to use
customised config files in /home/user rather than edit config files in /etc/.
When you apt-get upgrade, edited config files that exist within the main
package will prevent that package being upgraded automatically (e.g. using
cron-apt) and will wait for user intervention. When you use apt-get upgrade
manually, the prompts are easy - when you automate it, apt will hold back any
package (or dependency) that requires user intervention. This has (in the
past) left me well behind other Debian boxes with big updates like KDE
releases. A minor point but worth avoiding as you are planning this in
advance. Read the man page and look for a userspace config file before
editing the file in /etc/.

--

Neil Williams