Re: [LUG] GNOME for KDE diehard

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Simon Waters wrote:

Q3) I have a couple of applications (Guarddog for one) that I want
to lauch as root (including perhaps the GNOME log viewer). KDE makes
this easy, as it just knows about them (deep voodoo) and prompts for
the root password when I click the relevant Icon. Under GNOME I am
going to have to tell it what user I suspect, do I use "GTsu" for
this or some other similar tool. Can I make an icon with the
application name (and Path of course) included so it is one click
and the root password away? (Without using scripts, or creating more
SUID bits, this is a GUI after all)

Gnome 2.8 can do this automatically for some things, but Debian doesn't have it yet (I miss gentoo). I tend to open things like that in a xterm.

Q4) Editing lauchers doesn't let me edit the name of the program
executed. I found the place where you can choose what is displayed
on the properties dialogue once, but can't remember where I found it.

If it's on the desktop: Right click -> Edit Launcher. If it's on the panel: Right click -> Properties. Don't ask me why it's different.

Q6) One I ought to know an answer to - but whilst the weather applet
tells me the current(ish) weather in Exeter (saves turning my head
90 degree left, plus moving curtain as required), "Forecast" just
says "Met Office Forecast" surely some mistake?!?

According the the Help page, "Forecasts are only available for some locations in the USA".

Sorry I couldn't answer more questions, I'm still trying to work out how to edit the Debian menu...
-Ben

My homepage -- http://benalee.co.uk/
Member of TermiSoc -- http://www.termisoc.org/
E-mail address collection: