Re: [LUG] DATABASE FOR LINUX

Neil Winchurst wrote:

I have tried Rekall which is worth a look. It is the nearest I have
found so far. And just yesterday I came across a note about a new database from Sybase called ASE. It is supposed to be free and written
for Linux. I have not yet checked it out.

I found mysql and postgresql much too big for my use.

Neil W

ASE stands for Adaptive Server Enterprise so I think that if mysql is too big then ASE will be more so. ASE is very heavily client/server so you still need a good frontend app. ASE is a high end database engine with all the features you could ask for. It has been available for a while as a developers version on Linux for free but this "Express" version is licensed for production use as well. The "free" means they don't charge you money rather than the GP style free, you will not see the source code! I used to work with ASE a lot (perl/web or TK frontends) and I found it difficult to adjust to MySQL when I started using that, I had to do much more work at the client side than with ASE. Anyway this is a bit off the point as it is by no stretch of the imagination a drop in replacement for MS-Access.

Looks to me from a quick scan around the web that SQLite/Rekall or Kexi are the most obvious but I don't think we will see anything that will take an Access app and run it (or even export forms and reports) for a while. The data itself is easy to move around and there are lots of tools for this at the moment,

Cheers,

Pete