Re: [LUG] GLUG - free and non-free

Hi Guys

Now I don't want to be accused of calling Neil the Mother Teresa of coding (!) but I think that is an excellent example of economics turned on its head. What about the guy who does all the work for the computers in the Philippians? I think basic economic principles have a flaw in that as a human being, I can choose to ignore these basic principles and do something outside of them. The laptop I am writing on cost £1900. For those that know me, they will all tell you I never have that sort of money in my life. I gave up a well paid job in building networks to go into youth work. I have spent 15 years giving my life to young people. I have earnt less than 14k on average and will probably never top £18k. Do I care? No because in that time I have personally been involved in the job of saving lives. So back to the laptop. A mate of mine saw my need and gave me money to buy the laptop. Another mate only two months ago gave me a volvo! Ok for someone that drives Morris Minors that is a bit of insult!!!! but how does that fit into economic principles?

Rich
www.littlebigfoot.org.uk
"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of the messenger bringing good news." Isaiah 52 v 7 (The Message)