Re: [LUG] GLUG - free and non-free

On Monday 11 Oct 2004 10:23, Jon Lawrence wrote:
On Sunday 10 October 2004 21:43, Tony Atkin wrote:
It would seem that most of us are supporters of Free Software and the GNU
philosophy. However, I would not want to make people who had questions on
installing this or that piece of commercial/closed source/non-free
patent-encumbered/whatever software on a GNU/Linux system feel that this
list was not for them.

erm, no in a way I disagree with this.
If you're going to pay for software fine - there's nothing intrinsically
wrong with that imho - but don't expect free support for it :)
If a company ask/demands that you pay for their software then you've got a
right imho to demand support directly from them.

You certainly have, and I would expect the user to go through this route, but
it still doesn't stop any of us from offering a opinion should we wish, or
just keeping silent if we don't.  It's better than
<accent region="Appalachia">
"We don't do none of that there commercial software here boy"
</accent>
My point is that if it is running on GNU/Linux then I believe it should be
on-topic for this list.

Tony