Re: [LUG] GLUG - free and non-free

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 11:51 pm, Grant Sewell wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong in this, Neil.

I think you've got this spot on, Grant.
:-))

The way I see the situation is that
regardless of whether Neil is sitting in the bath or sitting in the park
thinking about ducks, he will still be thinking about code.  With this in
mind, the opportunity cost of coding to Neil is zero in both cases.  True,
sitting in the bath does preclude Neil from sitting in the park at the same
time (or at least I hope it does :D), but neither activity would have a
bearing on the opportunity cost of coding, which is nil.

Absolutely.

Another way to think of it, if you like, would be to regard coding as an
involuntary action performed by lower function of the brain - like
breathing.  With practice you can indeed consciously prevent yourself from
breathing for prolonged periods of time, but eventually something else
takes control - be it a loss of consciousness or whatever - and then BAM!
you're (hopefully) breathing again.

This ties in nicely with how problems can appear miraculously solved in the
morning.

Russian chemist Dmitri Mendeleyev devised the periodic table following a
moment of nocturnal "insight"

"In the experiments conducted by Wagner and his colleagues, volunteers tackled
arithmetic problems and then took an eight-hour break. Those who slept during
the break were twice as likely to realise that there was a hidden rule that
substantially simplified the calculations.
We think the strongest explanation is that sleep acts on the patterns created
during the training, restructuring them to give insight to the hidden rule.
Only one of the three groups of 22 volunteers was allowed to sleep during the
interlude between training and re-testing. The other two groups remained
awake, one during the day and one at night, to rule out "circadian" rhythm
effects.
The "sleepers" were more than twice as likely as the "wakers" to spot and
exploit the short cut. "We recorded all the responses, and we could see very
clearly the 'Eureka moment'," says Wagner."

This is the kind of insight that is so useful in programming - I read about
functions and libraries, I absorb the API as relaxation (bedtime reading if
you will) and overnight the processing links together elements that allow me
to solve a related problem.

Now, if we apply this concept of how the act of coding works, then coding
itself bears no cost (opportunity or otherwise) as it is _always_ a
concurrent activity.  The actual fruits of this coding, however, may
involve an opportunity cost as the physical action of typing in code and
testing it may preclude Neil from having a bath or sitting in the park
(let's not talk about Laptops yet, _please_!).  Sitting in the bath,
however, does not prevent Neil from breathing or coding.

10/10 Grant, lovely summary.

The actual 'text entry' time is real relaxation - a kind of download that
makes room for the next lot of processing. An essential management task -
gives new meaning to the phrase 'take a load of your mind'.
:-))

--

Neil Williams