Re: [LUG] GLUG - free and non-free

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 18:39, Neil Williams wrote:
I am not an economist (although from time to time I read it.)
It has been accepted by sufficient people of considerable smartness and
whose world-models seem to work that the concept of "opportunity cost" is
valid.

WRONG. You assume that all activity 24/7 is worthy of income. I write code in
my spare time, in my dreams, in the car - i.e. in circumstances where I am
ALREADY doing something else which no-one in their right mind would charge
for.

Writing code does not cost any money BECAUSE IT IS NOT WORK.

Just because something does not cost money that does not mean that it is
free (as in beer) to produce.  In order to produce that code you've had
to make a decision to do that over, say (for a random example), having a
bath.  Therefore the cost to you of writing that piece of code is not
having a bath.  You can't disagree with basic economic principles by
shouting wrong at people.

The people of 'considerable smartness' are dealing with issues of relevance to
companies. I am not a company - I have time off and in that time off I code.
I decide how much time off I have (courtesy of being self-employed in my
work) and how much of that goes on code.

Whatever you do incurs an opportunity cost

Rubbish. Who pays for your sleep? Your dreams? Your time in the shower?

It's not rubbish, as I've said opportunity cost is not necessarily
financial but you sacrifice the ability to do something else in that
piece of time.

Untrue. You are still treating this as a commodity, it's not, it's speech.

Who is paying you for the work on the list?

I am paying for my time writing this email by not drinking a beer.

Who is losing out financially for your time on the list?

This is not chargeable time - it's leisure time. It's FUN!

I thought there was a working time directive - or have all those hours as a
junior doctor jaded your perspective of work and leisure?
:-))

I choose to work in pharmacy for the money. I don't have a choice about
writing code, like an artiste or musician sometimes the darned stuff just
oozes out of my brain and it's more than I can do to keep my fingers moving
as fast as my brain. Why should I forget it all and let nobody benefit?

You have a choice not to spend time in front of your computer typing
that code into it.  You could do something else with that time, the cost
to you is the other things you could do in that time.

Alex.