Re: [LUG] GLUG - free and non-free

On Monday 11 Oct 2004 14:23, Neil Williams wrote:
On Monday 11 October 2004 1:28 pm, Martin Howitt wrote:
Take games for example. There are plenty of (relatively small) GPL games
out there, but to bring this conversation back to where we started, there
are AFAIK no GPL games on the scale of Doom, because the resources and
management required to bring a game of that level of complexity out cost
a lot of money which couldn't be recouped if a GPL licence was used.
<snip>
There is a simple reason why games are not keeping up:

Hardware lock-in.

The 'advanced' 3D features of most graphics cards have been locked away
under EULA and NDA for years now

Agreed! I can't fault either of the above statements, but I think there is
something else going on here and it's to do with what makes free software
developers tick.

Games are a lot like music.  You buy it and if you like it you play it a lot
for a few weeks or months and after that maybe only occasionally and then not
at all.  The creators put a lot of time and effort into it and more often
than not it turns out to be a flop.  A good utility is a different matter.  I
could use (say) GNUCash every day for the next 20 years and still not get
bored with it, because it is a tool, helping me to do something which I need
to do.  So I have to say to myself, which would I rather be involved in, a
game which just might be big for a year or two, or a tool which can be a help
to people all over the world for many years to come.  No contest really.

Tony