RE: [LUG] GLUG - free and non-free

Neil Williams wrote:

On Monday 11 October 2004 10:23 am, Jon Lawrence wrote:

I agree with everything else, except this:

Writing code costs money - there's no doubt about this.

Writing code does not cost any money. SUPPORTING code costs
bucket loads of
money.

There is no reason why code should cost money to create or
copy. No-one has
paid a penny for any of the code I've ever written.

(attribution seems mixed up here btw, so not sure who wrote what, but
anyway....)

Writing code costs time. For most people, that == money. For the lucky ones,
it doesn't.

Take games for example. There are plenty of (relatively small) GPL games out
there, but to bring this conversation back to where we started, there are
AFAIK no GPL games on the scale of Doom, because the resources and
management required to bring a game of that level of complexity out cost a
lot of money which couldn't be recouped if a GPL licence was used.

(I hope to be corrected of course, if anyone has an example I'll be the
first to head to the ftp mirrors!)

Martin