Re: [LUG] GLUG - free and non-free

On Monday 11 October 2004 3:48 pm, Grant Sewell wrote:
If I write code, do I "own" the arrangement of commands and parameters or
even the syntax of my commands?  If someone else uses the same routines as
me, perhaps even (God forbid) use the same variable names, does that mean
that they have "stolen" it from me?

There are some who might say 'yes' to that, until they think about it.

What _is_ "Intellectual Property"?  The ownership of intelligence?  I would
hope we can all aspire to own our own intelligence - without it surely we
would be just drones?

LOL.

Thanks, Grant, you put it so nicely!

Ownership is a false concept in software. It's about authors and copies. Not
owners. Without owners you have no property.

--

Neil Williams