Re: [LUG] GLUG - free and non-free

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:07:13 +0100
"Bailey Mark" <mark.bailey@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:
Nobody owns software, least of all the author.

Do you mean the actual lines of source code, or the IP?

I could be wrong on this, but isn't the idea more along these lines:

Code, like speech and music, is an expression of an idea.

Who owns expressions?  If I "own" a piece of music (in that it is my intellectual
property) does that mean that I own *all* of it?  How would I go about demonstrating
my ownership?  Can I sue people for using the same arrangement of chords that I
have?  Surely if I "own" the music, then such a finding would amount to the other
party having "stolen" my expressions?  But could they not argue that they too "own"
their music, and therefore the very same arrangement of chords.

If I make a blindingly good speech, do I "own" the words or the arrangement of those
words?  Can I prevent people from quoting me because I haven't given them permission
to use my expression?

If I write code, do I "own" the arrangement of commands and parameters or even the
syntax of my commands?  If someone else uses the same routines as me, perhaps even
(God forbid) use the same variable names, does that mean that they have "stolen" it
from me?

What _is_ "Intellectual Property"?  The ownership of intelligence?  I would hope we
can all aspire to own our own intelligence - without it surely we would be just
drones?

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.