Re: [LUG] Dialup ISP

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:45:27 +0000
Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't think my computer is up to it. I don't use the internet enough
anyway. Most of the broadband users around assume Windows and can't cope
with Linux. Dialup, at the moment, gives me all I need.

Eh?  What do you mean "your computer" isn't up to it?  If it can use a ethernet
card, it can use broadband!  If you mean that most ISPs can't cope with the idea
that you don't run Windows, then ask for a wires-only setup and buy your own router
(ebuyer do some nice ones!).

I have found that, certainly for many people but by all means not all people, their
perception of the Internet changes when they get broadband.  On narrorband it is a
task to "connect to the Internet" and therefore it is only used when necessary.
After the installation of broadband, it takes on a whole different role.  Just like
TV - if we still used early TVs and we were forced to buy our viewing time, we
wouldn't watch as much TV as we do now.  However, because it is always available,
and (if you don't mind watching rubbish) there is always _something_ on, we're quite
happy with it.  It is a pervasive technology.  It is everywhere, all the time.  With
the broadband Internet, the same change occurs.  You no longer have "to connect".
It isn't a case of "I only use it to check my emails and do a little surfing".  It
becomes more like: "Damn!  I've never seen _that_ in an ingredients list before,
I'll just go check what it is on wikipedia."  It's always there, always ready.

And now I'm ranting.

One that looks quite reasonable is Onetel. No doubt there are others. If
anyone on the list has any suggestions, recommendations and/or warnings
I would be very grateful.

Anyway, for narrowband ISPs... I've used UKLinux, Tiscali and Virgin.  Only ever had
problems with UKLinux's emails, but I spoke to Brian at the LWExpo on Thursday and
it's a SPAM problem at their end - so much SPAM coming in (and being rejected on the
grounds that it's SPAM) that their logs are going crazy!

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.