Re: [LUG] Blueyonder Broadband

Julian Hall wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Heath" <robs_mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: [LUG] Blueyonder Broadband

actually the mac address of the modem only applies to the usb conection
, the ehternet conection doesnt have a mac adress so you can either use
a router that can mimic the mac address blueyonder has on file or you
will have to ring blueyonder and give them the mac address of your nic
card

Sorry that's not entirely correct.

The modem actually *does* have a MAC address, it's printed in large friendly
letters on the back.  I'm on ntl: broadband and ntl: have to know the MAC
address of *the modem* in order for the system to know whose modem is trying
to connect (as part of the authentication process).  I worked on the
Technical Support for ntl's Broadband trials a few years ago, so I know the
modems *do* have a MAC address (even if as I say it wasn't printed on the
back next to "MAC Address:").  In actual fact an Ethernet connection could
have two MAC addresses involved as the Ethernet NIC has one too.  Important
to note which is which so you don't give the ISP the wrong one.

If Blueyonder want to know the NIC's MAC address that's up to them, but my
system works fine with the near identical cablemodem attached to my router
via Ethernet, and all ntl: wanted to know was the *modem* MAC address.
Consider if you changed your NIC for some reason, and/or you only had one PC
and didn't want to waste money on a router you don't need.  If you had given
the NIC's MAC to the ISP you'd have to ring them and give the new one.

yes if you change nic's with my type of installation then i would have
to ring them up to get them the change the mac address at their end

Incidentally, why/how would Blueyonder have a MAC address on record for the
account anyway if it had previously been a dialup or is a new account?  Do
they supply the modems as part of the package?  If they do that would
explain why they don't need to ask for it, but to say a cablemodem on
Ethernet doesn't have a MAC address is I'm sorry, wrong.

well according to blueyonder technical support the usb side of the modem
has a mac address but the ethernet side doesnt have a mac address , well
not on my modem it doesnt , they supplied and fitted it so they should
know

blueyonder link the mac address to the installation in my house this is
the only security they have , i don't need a username or password to
surf the net only need that for email, i do not use any form of adsl
through the telephone line as my connection is fibre optic to
blueyonders servers

hope this makes it clearer for others reading this

Rob