Re: [LUG] Modem Drivers-Meet

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 22:06, Neil Williams wrote:

So are you talking broadband, ISDN or dial-up?

As I mentioned in a previous post,just because we're all behind NAT Routers,it
doesn't mean everyone else is.
Loads of people still use ADSL USB Broadband modems al la Alcatel/Speedtouch.
Believe it or not,others are still making do with 56k dial up.

I'm sorry,I was just brainstorming and trying to throw some ideas around.

If it's broadband or ISDN, do NOT use a modem at all - get a router
instead. Hang the extra expense, it's nothing compared to the hassle of not
being able to connect.

Fair enough.Tell everyone they'll have to shell out a few quid for a NAT
router before they can get back on the net.
So,there won't be anyone on a low income at these meets?
Ah..O.K.Open Source is for those with a healthy disposable income..the old
dear who can't understand why her browser keeps getting hijacked,but thinks
GNU/Linux would offer her a better chance of downloading her e-mails and
surfing the net in peace need not apply?

The term "not supported" basically means,whether it be modem or O.S.,if
it goes wrong,you can't expect any assistance from the ISP.

True. If it's broadband, you have a different route because you often got
the modem from the ISP - but then, you shouldn't have got a modem, you
should have a router. (Am I repeating myself too much?!?!?1)

Forgive me,but I can't help thinking that if you repeat that mantra to people
who have bought and paid for a broadband modem and are satisfied with
it,they'll go off in a huff and not bother with GNU/Linux.

To that effect,a person connecting via OneTel with anything other than
the Speedtouch supplied by them,will likely be told their modem is
unsupported.

But a dial-up modem of any kind would still work as well with them as with
any other dial-up ISP. Forget tech-support at the ISP - that costs you
money - the support from the lug is free.

Oh..unless you were thick enough to buy a broadband modem,as opposed to a NAT
Router? :)