Re: [LUG] Modem Drivers-Meet

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 21:06, Neil Williams wrote:
On Tuesday 28 September 2004 8:45 pm, Julian Hall wrote:
Great idea Sadie.  I think your best bet would be to compile a list of
ISPs that support Linux in the area first, then see if you can find out
what modems they support.

Oops. ISP's don't support modems - either the modem works and you'll
connect, or it won't and you can't. ISP's only support the protocol over
the phone line. True some of the big name ones used to make things
difficult by requiring customised chatscripts but that's not the issue.

Funny.I did not interpret Julian's constructive comments in that way.I took it
to mean:find out which modems are supplied by each ISP-e.g Speedtouch USB
from OneTel.
The term "not supported" basically means,whether it be modem or O.S.,if it
goes wrong,you can't expect any assistance from the ISP.
To that effect,a person connecting via OneTel with anything other than the
Speedtouch supplied by them,will likely be told their modem is unsupported.

Sadie