[LUG] Modem Drivers-Meet

Further to my previous e-mail concerning the meets.

I understand it is a nightmare finding Linux modem drivers.

Linux Format or Linux User and Developer magazine had a website address where
one could track down manufacturers that supply modem drivers for Linux.
Shall I go and download a job lot of the most common modem drivers?(Burn onto
discs for the meet?)

I know Speedtouch supply Linux drivers,and have an old Speedtouch USB modem
that I could use to perform a test run.Try loading the drivers on various
distros-see if any dependencies/errors get thrown up?

It's easy to forget that not everyone connects via NAT router.I can just
imagine how gutted these new-users we hope to take under the GNU/Linux wing
would be if they couldn't get their wonderful new O.S connected to the net.
Being immediately confronted by such an advent on an alien system would send
many of them running straight back to Windows.

Perhaps it would be an idea to download specific drivers then and
there,assuming people know their specs?
Or at least print a small how-to leaflet?

It seems obvious to you experienced users,but Linux speaks an unfamiliar
language to a person booting a Linux box for the first time in their lives.We
should assume that RPMs and unpacking tarballs will be seen as difficult and
daunting.Particularly when it is demanded immediately-as it will be in the
case of Internet connectivity.

Sadie