Re: [LUG] Modem Drivers-Meet

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 9:47 pm, Sadie Brinham wrote:
Oops. ISP's don't support modems - either the modem works and you'll
connect, or it won't and you can't. ISP's only support the protocol over
the phone line. True some of the big name ones used to make things
difficult by requiring customised chatscripts but that's not the issue.

Funny.I did not interpret Julian's constructive comments in that way.I took
it to mean:find out which modems are supplied by each ISP-e.g Speedtouch
USB from OneTel.

So are you talking broadband, ISDN or dial-up?

Not many dial-up ISP's supply modems anymore.

If it's broadband or ISDN, do NOT use a modem at all - get a router instead.
Hang the extra expense, it's nothing compared to the hassle of not being able
to connect.

The term "not supported" basically means,whether it be modem or O.S.,if it
goes wrong,you can't expect any assistance from the ISP.

True. If it's broadband, you have a different route because you often got the
modem from the ISP - but then, you shouldn't have got a modem, you should
have a router. (Am I repeating myself too much?!?!?1)

To that effect,a person connecting via OneTel with anything other than the
Speedtouch supplied by them,will likely be told their modem is unsupported.

But a dial-up modem of any kind would still work as well with them as with any
other dial-up ISP. Forget tech-support at the ISP - that costs you money -
the support from the lug is free.
:-)

--

Neil Williams