Re: [LUG] GNU/Linux and DCGLUG

On Tuesday 28 Sep 2004 21:46, Neil Williams wrote:
Now seems as good a time as any to raise the issue of GNU.

I think this is a great idea. In my experience I'd say that the idea of
freedom converts nearly as many people to Linux as the practical benefits do
(or at least has the potential to). For example I was speaking to a new
convert at a ManLUG meeting last year and he was *very* excited and
fascinated by the whole idea behind the free software community and culture.
And when I think about it, I am too - even after being a part of it for 8
years.

Perhaps the GLUG could invest some of its funds in a copy of Richard
Stallman's "Free Software, Free Society" to loan to any member who wants to
read it. I'm happy to loan out my copy too, but I'm out of the area at the
moment.

Perhaps when the new website is ready, we can have a re-launch party aimed at
new users with talks about free software in addition to the usual talks &
installing.

David.

--
David Johnson