[LUG] GNU/Linux and DCGLUG

Now seems as good a time as any to raise the issue of GNU.

Recent discussions on the list have reflected concerns amongst a small group
off the list (Matt, Simon, Alex, myself and others) - catalyzed by a recent
presentation by Richard Stallman:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive/2004/04/msg00213.html

"We are failing to keep up with the influx of free software users, failing to
teach people about freedom and our community as fast as they enter it. "
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

Seeing as LUG's are close to the point of entry to GNU/Linux for most users,
it would certainly be appropriate if the LUG made more noise about *freedom*
and less about "the immediate practical benefits of certain free software".

Personally, I regret that we haven't made more of the ethics of free software
here. I always had an interest in programming and when I started to write my
own code using GNU/Linux and started reading the COPYING documents, reading
about the GPL, I started to understand how this whole thing worked.

I believe it is imperative that GNU/Linux users understand about freedom,
understand that with free software come responsibilities, ethics:

"The main argument for the term ``open source software'' is that ``free
software'' makes some people uneasy. That's true: talking about freedom,
about ethical issues, about responsibilities as well as convenience, is
asking people to think about things they might rather ignore. This can
trigger discomfort, and some people may reject the idea for that. It does not
follow that society would be better off if we stop talking about these
things."

It isn't scary, it IS essential. If *we* don't protect the interests of those
who develop the code for our favourite operating system, free software *will*
die.

I would urge everyone on this list to consider their contribution to
maintaining the freedom of the software they use.

1. Read about freedom at www.fsf.org

2. Understand why it is right that we should make this group known as:
Devon and Cornwall GNU/Linux User Group: DCGLUG.

3. Call the system GNU/Linux whenever possible; remember,
Linux is the kernel
GNU contributed the compiler and most of the base code.
A kernel is nothing without a system, just as a system is dead without a
kernel. The two work together and Linux is registered as the name of the
kernel, NOT the OS.

4. Join the mailing list for your favourite program and contribute.

5. Put content on Wiki's, use a project forum where provided, get involved and
make a difference.

6. Refrain from using the phrase "open source" to describe free
software. Unless the software license is OSI-certified but not
considered Free by the FSF, it is free software and should be referred
to appropriately. Source is a meaningless term to most people, but I'm
sure most humans understand the concept of freedom, even if they don't
understand free software, yet.

7. If you can afford it, consider becoming an associate member of the
Free Software Foundation - you can do this at http://member.fsf.org/
(FSF are based in the USA - I can't find out how much it costs without
registering, but I think it's around £10-£20.) For a European associate
group, try AFFS: http://www.affs.org.uk/membership.html £10.

Now that my own programming work has reached a suitable point for a pause,
I'll be incorporating more of these themes into the GLUG website, including
references to the group as a GNU/Linux user group.

References to non-free software, companies that promote non-free software or
software that requires non-free systems (ie. Java, or free software for
Windows, for example) will be clearly marked non-free.

A new website for DCGLUG is in development that will be more interactive and
more collaborative than our current one. It's not ready for testing or
publicity yet, but with help from a few people here, I hope to have it ready
once I get back from Expo.

--

Neil Williams