Re: [LUG] Allow Me To Introduce Myself

On Sunday 26 September 2004 13:25, David Bell wrote:
On Saturday 25 September 2004 23:38, Sadie Brinham wrote:
Welcome Sadie.  You didn't mention how you came to hear about/find and
install Mandrake Linux in the first place.

Thanks for the welcome.Mandrake 10 was recommended to me by a good friend of
mine who works for an anti-virus company.He said it was a sound idea to learn
how to use an alternative operating system.Never looked back.

My own introduction/induction to Linux, about 6 years ago, was finding a
freebie Red-Hat disk that somebody at work had discarded.  As a result, I
bought a nice shiny SuSE v6.1 box so that I could RTFM -  and really was
glowing with pride when that first text menu login appeared saying, "Have
Fun".

I know what you mean.Seeing a brand new operating system starting up for the
first time,not knowing what to expect..then giving a gleeful "Whhho-ooo"
Seriously,I'd been imagining a desktop that resembled Midnight Commander,or
nothing more than a bash shell.

Like you, I have tried many distro's over the years: but have always
retained a box with the latest version of SuSE on it. To me, as a desk top
user, that's what Linux is about: a box that works, choice and having fun
at the same time - usually with the latest version of Mandrake on another
box.  I'm not a geek, I'm retired, probably the oldest member of the group,
and (viewed in retrospect) - post daft questions.

Agreed,SuSE is superb.It makes me wonder what everyone is so afraid of.I can
also see now that GNU/Linux is as simple or as difficult as you'd care to
make it,really.
If most casual home users just like to e-mail their friends,surf the internet
and download this and that,they can do that on GNU/Linux to immediate effect.
With the added bonus of being able to avoid the tremendous anxiety associated
with closing your browser to find about:blank waiting for you on your
desktop.

My local newsagent (Okehampton) sells 12 copies of LF each month, I often
wonder who buys the other 11 and where they are.

Funny you should mention that.Here in St.Austell,I just used to pop into WH
Smiths and buy both Linux Format and Linux User and Developer.Suddenly,they
started selling out before I made it to the shop (Which can only signify a
growing,genuine interest-those magazines are not cheap).I've taken out a
subscription to be certain I never miss a copy.Like you,I wonder who buys the
others,and if they'd fancy meeting up.

Enough of me - "Have Fun"

You too.I look forward to each new day on GNU/Linux.Always a new,wonderful
discovery to be made.Can't ever imagine getting bored.

Sadie