Re: [LUG] today's meets and some observations etc.

Neil Williams wrote:

I can't help that, however, that was the intention of the threads that started the meeting. How it turns out is less predictable.

I wasn't blaming you, I was pointing out you were over selling it, no more.

but not a newbie either. How many 'Windows-only' users would have followed the discussion?

more than ever before, windows users are getting pretty clueful, knowing you are locked in to proprietary stuff and doing something about it are however two different things, but I think you are seriously under estimating the mean or median windows user to assume that kai's talk for example would have gone over their heads.

Personally, the first thing I do when I am called to fix a Windows box is hack a DOS command line. It's the only way to get decent control over the system - that and regedit. I only ever use Windows at work now (non-IT) and there isn't time for anything else. Just get into DOS, fix the problem and carry on.

lots of things you can't do in dos though innit, doesn't address large disks very well for starters, sure things like ipconfig /all and convert fs etc are very handy, but most windows problems are appearing to be malware related or user related, and s+d spybot etc are quicker solutions. but my response was more along the lines of "not all of us used computers that had dos anywhere on them"

Uhh, do you want to check that? You wanted to encourage vulnerabilities in IE?
(Note the lack of a negative in my original - I wasn't saying that you chose not to have IE thunking 16bit code, I was asking if you like it thunking into 16bit?)

yes, I want to encourage vulns in IE, and viruses and trojans....

as our resident doc will attest, without such things darwinian forces will produce 3 headed monsters instead of antibodies

each new windows / ie vuln moves us ever closer to the emperor having no clothes.

you know I'm not into linux because I hate windows.

I'm into linux like caxton was into the printing press, it takes the drm away from the scribes

human society is certainly doomed to mass bloodshed if things progress down the "big brother" route.

That is why I keep talking about previous meetings - you seem to be basing a lot on the one meeting. From my perspective, the variety of meetings is in line with the composition of the group and we do not concentrate on any one area. Individual meetings benefit from a single focus but different meetings cover VERY different areas. Yes, we need a few welcome meetings at the moment - but that doesn't mean we can't do them, won't do them or refuse to help those who would benefit from alternative meeting formats. Please, go ahead and book the meeting you want - the more the better.

I just don't accept the idea that meets can be deep geek only or newbie only, that's the road 2600 went down and look where it went.

Not at all, it's when a rant covers old ground without signs of anything new.

maybe the same message needs repeating until it becomes an axiom that nobody like the crediton guys gets away without the meme infecting them

This is a public archive - it does nobody any good to have discussions that follow such a pattern.

duly noted

If you want to look at that, we can. There are a whole load of technical areas that we could cover. From your own perspective, I would recommend that the meeting is one or the other - by all means let's have two meetings, one 'welcome mat' and one techie.

this is the bit I have issues with, if they cant hack bourne again they must be a newbie, it smacks of going to a php con and shouting down the guy in the corner with the webshop asking about utf8 and his customers not being able to complete transactions.

Can't we have a little fun together sometimes??

god yes, go for it, but are you there to play first and promote second, or vice versa?
I think you can guess which I am, and I find it makes for a very rich and diverse playground

I like all that stuff, it's great to meet others, get to know what other members can do, what they know, who is the best person to ask when something crops up later.

absolutely, did the crediton guys go away with this information?

We can't afford to get stuck in any rut - all welcome and no depth is as bad as all gabble and no introductions.

There is no point in every meeting being a welcome mat format. Just as there is no point in every meeting being a mega-hack session. We don't do that - there are a variety of meetings, a variety of topics and a generally relaxed and mellow attitude to what actually gets done.

I'll tell you what you don't do, and I can give you some classic examples of disabled bikers (there's two other minority groups for you) getting this UTTERLY wrong too, you don't get the image of what linux is across to those who are not already in the coven, this is really hard to explain adequately in a few short lines of sterile text, but anyone who is into apples will probably get what I mean.

We just 'throw it together' for most meetings and it works well. When we want to make a show of something and do something that would catch the eye of the non-technical people, often those outside the immediate group, we can and we do.

Actually, there have been quite a few meetings that have accomplished NOTHING of the original plan! Some of those have been noted by the attendees as the most successful meetings they had attended!

So, please, chill out, relax and let's have the meeting you want. As long as we can still have more meetings like the last one as well.

I don't see it as either or, if I open a computer shop I can't decide monday is luser only day and tuesday is overclockers only day and wednesday is server day, in any other field you care to name it's "ok, you want a base unit only with no OS, thats over there"