Re: [LUG] Debian Masterclass - Details

john wrote:
| On Monday 20 September 2004 8:03, Matt Lee wrote:
|
| christ, tis a small world... lol

Nova must have been having a good day when I asked ;)

|>We've got a mirror! We're currently downloading the full(ish - no
|>non-free) i386 Debian GNU/Linux tree.
|
| how big a footprint is it now?

Too big! The full mirror is about 100GB, picking only "i386", and
"free" (and no source at the moment - well we will see how much disk
space is left), should save a LOT, but we only have 38GB of spare
space on the box we are using - so fingers crossed.

We probably won't mirror userlinux.com, but hopefully we will have
some bandwidth on the day.

Debian mirrors seems relatively easy to set up, but I guess we'll
discover the tricky bits when it is finished downloading and we come
to test it.

Matt has got userlinux installed on a laptop, hopefully he won't
reinstall it before Saturday. Although I don't think it will
surprise anyone who knows Debian and GNU/Linux well - that is kind
of the point of userlinux - "less is more".

GNU/Hurd R7 is defeating me - any grub expert care to lend a hand?
Up till now I've always used lilo....

Okay my first Debian mirror this evening - so far so good.

My first HURD install attempts - flopped.

My first Knoppix to harddisk install - fairly easy.

Trivial program of the day -- cacafire -- come home to an ascii fire ;)

Stupid tip for KDE people, in Klipper define a regular expression;

"^www\.."

With actions copied from the "http" entry and hacked accordingly to
insert the "http://";

i.e. "kfmclient exec http://%s";

And then you can just highlight URLs which lack the preceeding
"http:" and get prompted for a web browser. Do remember to put in
descriptions for the new Regexp and action, otherwise it all gets
very confusing.