Re: [LUG] Install....still.

jondavey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Posted by "Jon Davey" <jondavey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have a copy of fedora core 2 from a recent issue of Linux
magazine < which you are welcome to borrow, If you mail me off list
with your< address I can forward, or if you live near torbay then I
live in< paignton and you could always come over and pick it up,<

Could be easier to post, the slimline dvd case fits nicely in a>
>jiffy< bag, which is good<.....

Thanks. Sorry I took so long to reply. What I forgot to mention when I posted origionaly was that I was atempting a dual boot install. I think that may have bveen causing some complications. I have a feeling that there needs to be a small partition at thebegining of the hdd for a bootloader

That'll be the Master Boot Record

but Windows requires to ocupy the first part
of the hdd...or something like that....is that right?

Not really. The MBR is commonly overwritten by Windows during any re-install. LILO and Grub are well versed in adding a Linux installation to the bootloader alongside Windows for a dual-boot. In reality, LILO or Grub replace the Windows bootloader, add their own bootloader for the newly installed GNU/Linux and then tack on a path to boot Windows when selected.

This gives you a menu at boot time (which can be tweaked or ignored) from which you can choose which OS to boot. Most will boot GNU/Linux after a timeout. You get some 5 or 10 seconds to boot Windows or any non-default Linux.

Thanks again
for the offer of Fedora, It`ll have to be posted. I live quite far
from you.....Liskeard(a few miles past Plymouth on your way into
Cornwall). I`m going to have another try and arrange the partitioning

Come along to the meeting on Saturday and there'll be lots of distros on offer.

If you can bring the box along, I'm sure there'll be time to help you out directly.

--

Neil Williams