Re: [LUG] Hardware: SMP Board, One Processor...

On Wednesday 04 August 2004 23:27, Grant Sewell wrote:

snip...

Also, if I do need a term card and I can't get one (for sensible money),
then how important is it to have perfectly matched processors?  Would it
actually work (even if a little unsatisfactorily) with two unmatched
processors?  Only reason I ask is that I potentially have another PII
coming free, however it is a 350, and hence 100MHz FSB.

In my limited experience (I've only attempted this 3 times, although I've run
a number of multiprocessor machines...) the "matching"(*) of procesors is
critical. I've *never* managed to upgrade a uniprocessor to dual unless I've
used a processor of the same spec *bought at more or less the same time as
the original*.

jd

(*) In quotes, because I'm not really sure what it means in this context. Two
perfectly functional processors that look the same but were sourced
independently have failed for me before now, but I've *never* had a failure
when I bought the processors at the same time. YMMV.

--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK