Re: [LUG] Hardware: SMP Board, One Processor...

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:48:56 +0100
John Daragon <john@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In my limited experience (I've only attempted this 3 times, although I've run
a number of multiprocessor machines...) the "matching"(*) of procesors is
critical. I've *never* managed to upgrade a uniprocessor to dual unless I've
used a processor of the same spec *bought at more or less the same time as
the original*.

jd

(*) In quotes, because I'm not really sure what it means in this context. Two
perfectly functional processors that look the same but were sourced
independently have failed for me before now, but I've *never* had a failure
when I bought the processors at the same time. YMMV.

Ok, cheers.  I was getting my hopes up because of what was written in the docs:

"If you are installing two CPU's, we recommend that you follow the guidelines below:
Use CPU's of the same family type.  Use CPU's of the same revision stepping (i.e.,
A0, A1, B0).  Use CPU's of the same FSB frequency (i.e., 66MHz vs. 100MHz).  Use
CPU's of the same L2 cache size (i.e., 256KB vs. 512KB).  Use CPU's of the same L2
cachetype (i.e., ECC vs. nonECC).  Use CPU's of the same L2 cacheable address range
(i.e., 512MB vs. 4GB).

NOTE: If the two processors differ in any of the above categories, the system may
still appear to run correctly, but consistent behavior cannot be guaranteed".

Hey ho.

Cheers.

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.