Re: [LUG] Hardware: SMP Board, One Processor...

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 23:27, Grant Sewell wrote:
Hi all,

I recently acquired an SMP PII (Slot 1) board that will take either 66MHz or
100MHz FSB PIIs.  Luckily enough for me, I happen to have a spare PII processor, a
233MHz job, however I have only the one.  I managed to track down the motherboard
manual (God bless motherboards.org... even if the board isn't listed in mobot, it
is still there in the manuals section) and it says that I will need a "Terminator
Card" in order to use this SMP board as a uni board.  Alas, I do not have one of
those.  Now, I am guessing that at least one of you will have more experience with
SMP boards than I do (this is my first :D), so I was wondering: Do I _really_ need
a terminator card to use this as a uni board?

Hi Grant,

I have no more exeprience of dual processors than you, *however* I've
just looked on a couple of sites and the terminator board is described
as *required* if you only intend populating the one CPU slot.

  If so, anyone know of where I could get a Slot1 PII term card?

Try Ebay :)  There were a couple when I looked, but not knowing the
board or system I don't know how useful they would be :)

As for them being matched, well al I can says is that boards are finicky
enough about matched memory, and I can't really se them playing nicely
with two CPUs running at different speeds.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to give a full
answer :)

Kind regards,

Julian