Re: [LUG] webmin and static IP

On Monday 02 Aug 2004 13:04, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I've been quite successful in setting up both my machines with Webmin,
bar one problem.  *Every single time* I set the laptop up with a static
IP  I can no longer access webmin.  The desktop is quite happy on static
IP with settings of:

IP: 192.168.1.101
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Bb router IP)

This works perfectly.  However if I set the laptop up with the same
Netmask and gateway and IP of 192.168.1.102 I can no longer access
Webmin.  I can access webmin on the *other* machine by IP or name, but
not the laptop.  I can't access it from the desktop either.

With a static IP on your laptop :-

1) Is webmin still running on the laptop?
       try "ps -aux | grep webmin"

2) What IP range do you use for dynamic IP's have you got somthing in your
webmin ACL's that prevent 192.168.1.102 from connecting but your dynamic IP
provides somthing such as 192.168.1.1 that webmin's ACL likes?

3) Can you access webmin on the laptop using the loopback address 127.0.0.1

4) Has the webmin server bound to all interfaces? try "netstat -l -p | grep
10000" (assuming you use webmin on the 10000 port). For that i see :-

tcp        0      0 *:10000                 *:*
udp        0      0 *:10000                 *:*

but other services on my system are bound to localhost eg localhost:32768 etc.

Thats my ideas!

Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
callto:ils.seconix.com/robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx