Re: [LUG] OT: D-Link

On 30/07/2004 at 13:38 Alex Charrett wrote:

Quoting Julian Hall:

Check the router actually *needs* a filter.  Some have them built in, so
if there is one in-line as well you could be doubling up by mistake
there as well.  I know some BT supplied models have an internal filter.

As I understand it, your adsl modem / router will never require a
microfilter.
The microfilter is only for using analouge services on the same line (such
as
telephone).

Microfilters that have a port labelled (a)dsl, only pass the line through
this port, no filtering takes place.  As such, plugging your adsl gear
into
this port is the same as plugging it directly into the BT sockect.

Alex.

Alex has hit the nail on the head. The spiltter is for the benefit of the phone.
ADSL Spiltters filter off the high pitched signals that emanate from a DSL service
and stop them  bleeding into PSTN devices like telephones, fax machines, etc.

One other thing to check - Sometimes routers come with two network cables, one is a
normal cat5 and the other is twisted pair (twisted pair cable is for direct peer to
peer connection) - Make sure you connect to you router with a bog standard cat5
cable.

The default address on my d-link router was 192.168.0.50. When you try to connect to
the routers admin page, are you trying from the same subnet?? i.e 192.168.0.0 /
255.255.255.0 (not the case if the client is DHCP enabled) - otherwise you won't see
jack :)

Luke