Re: [LUG] OT: D-Link

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 18:07, alan wrote:
On 2004.07.29 15:26 Richard Brown wrote:
Trouble is he is running the
windows firewall and some McAfree virus programme. Does he need to
stop these running? Any ideas?

No he shouldn't need to stop those running.

If the router won't "dial" out, check that he/she hasn't put 2 line
filters in series to the phone socket. (You may laugh but I've seen it
happen :-)

Check the router actually *needs* a filter.  Some have them built in, so
if there is one in-line as well you could be doubling up by mistake
there as well.  I know some BT supplied models have an internal filter.

Bear in mond that BT broadband needs no password, or phone number, just
the user name, and if the settings for the line are correct in the
router, then the router will connect by itself.

For debugging purposes try the below which as an ISP Tech I used with
our customers frequently:

username: bt_test_user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
password: <blank>

If this connects BT's network has accepted you as a valid ADSL account
user and authenticated you to their network.  Then try:

username: bt_test_user@xxxxxxxxxx  : where isp_domain is what is after
the @ sign in your friend's proper username.

example:  username: fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
test username would be bt_test_user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

password: <blank>

If THIS connects then your friend is connected to his ISP's network
correctly.  In this case somewhere his account login has been corrupted,
probably their side.

HTH,

Julian