[LUG] Loading a kernel module at startup

Hi all;

After installing Debian 3 onto a Dell PowerEdge 1500sc server I noticed the
network card wasn't detected. After a bit of hunting around I downloaded the
driver for the Intel Pro/1000 card, and with the kernel headers managed to
compile the driver. I can get the driver working with:

insmod e1000

..(the driver is called "e1000") and then I can configure and use it with
"ifconfig", which works fine. I can ping other network machines, for
example.

Thing is, when I restart the computer I have to manually enter "insmod
e1000" each time to get the network card up and running. I've tried adding
an entry of "alias eth0 e1000" to /etc/modutils/aliases, and then running
"update-modules" to rebuild /etc/modules.conf (the new alias line is
visible), but upon reboot the interface is still not present. "ifconfig"
just shows the local loopback, and has no entry for eth0.

Any suggestions on how I can have this module loaded on startup? The file
"e1000.o" is present in /lib/modules/2.2.20-compact/net

BTW: I'm running the 2.2.20-compact kernel rather than the standard Debian 3
2.2.20 because I need SCSI support for the three hard disks.

Thanks in advance;
Jeremy

--
Jeremy Pearson