Re: [LUG] OT: D-Link

Grant Sewell wrote:

Could it also be that the WinXP "firewall" software is preventing him accessing the modem/router's configuration interface? I am guessing that it should normally present a web-based frontend. If the modem/router has firewalling capabilities, might it be worth stopping the XP firewall all-together?

--Grant

Extremely unlikely. On mine and my wife's XP PC's I keep the XP firewalling operational, as well as 3rd party firewall's and the router's NATP. never a problem. Interestingly my Linux PC is unable to operate in stealth mode although it does block any incomings, the router seems to do a better job but even that doesn't totally hide my presence form the nasty people.

I don't understand the reference to dialling out as you don't dial out on a broadband link. However, if he's referring to the router not being able to establish a link then he's in for a fun time. first thing to check are the filter's, second thing to check are alarms (intruder) linked to the phone system - they should have their own filters, and thirdly SKY digiboxes are a pain (voice of experience). He should try disconnecting all the phones or equipment attached to the phone system in the house, then connect the router (not attached to PC) to the main phone box. If it works then connect it back up to the box he wants to work from and then start attaching phones etc one at a time until he gets a disconnection, and that's the problem.

He should also ensure that the router has been correctly set up otherwise it won't play either. Someone has already emailed the correct settings for UK in here.

Carl