Re: [LUG] Static IP

On 2004.07.09 19:43 Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

How do I stop my one machine from having a static IP? (MDK10).  I must
have
done it by using 'ifcfg eth0 192.168.1.2' (at least I assume that's
what did
it).

Hi,

have a look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts for the ifcfg-eth0 file
open it in an editor, and check to see if it has the ip listed in there. If it has, remove it, and make sure there are the lines :

BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

the save & quit the editor, and run ifup eth0 or reboot.

If there are any other ifcfg-eth*:* files present, then unless you have manually added a new ip to the box, they can be deleted. Its best to open them and have a look inside first though ;-)

Or, conversely, you could set BOOTPROTO=none and let it keep the ip address it has but without requesting one from the dhcp server on boot.

I hope this helps.

alan