Re: [LUG] Last stab at Trackpad :) (No not with Bowie knife.. yet ;))

On Thursday 08 Jul 2004 13:20, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi David,

I'm getting the following (copied off the screen).

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=0680 Product=0002 Version=0100
N: Name="0680:0002"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1f.2-2/input0
H: Handlers=mouse0 event1 ts0

OK, so that's the touch pad, but it doesn't know what it's name is (compare to
my entry in last e-mail) so possibly your kernel doesn't support it, which
would explain why the X module can't find it.

In XFConfig-4 the device is Mouse1 and I notice the Handler above is
mouse0. Could this be the cause of the problem?  I've edited the config to
change references to Mouse1 to mouse0 in the device and layout.  Still
crashed out saying:

This shouldn't be a problem.

BTW when I load MDK10 onto the laptop it runs like an absolute dog (by this
I mean at least 5 minutes opening Mandrake Control Panel for example),
bearing in mind it`s a PIII 850 with 256Mb RAM, and even on my friend's
PIII 450 desktop it runs comparable to Windows 98 on the same box.  This
happens every time I install it.  Any ideas why?

Sounds like it's a DNS problem to me. Take a look in your /etc/hosts
and /etc/resolv.conf. Your hosts file should contain not only 127.0.0.1 along
with the machine's hostname, but also the local network IP and hostname. Also
make sure your nameservers listed in /etc/resolv.conf are reachable and
correct.

So it sounds like your kernel version doesn't support your specific variation
of  touchpad. The first thing I'd suggest is to do a Mandrake update and see
if there's a newer kernel available which may fix it. If there isn't, then
you're pretty much knackered. I don't think compiling your own kernel is an
option either, as Mandrake do lots of strange things to their kernels so lots
of messing around is needed to make a standard kernel work with the system.

So I think your options are: -

1. Bring it along to a meeting and see if anyone can get it working for you
2. Forget about the touchpad and use a mouse (mine works, but I prefer to use
a proper mouse anyway)
3. Try different distros to see if any work
4. Install a distro which will work with standard kernels (e.g. Fedora,
Debian) and compile your own kernel

What brand and model is your laptop? I'd think your pad is almost certainly
supported by the latest 2.6 kernel, but if it's especially new it may not
be...

Hope this helps,
David.

--