[LUG] Last stab at Trackpad :) (No not with Bowie knife.. yet ;))

Hi All,

I'm sorely tempted to just put MDK 9.1 on the laptop (unless someone could please explain in baby steps the option I have heard about using MDK10 with a 2.4 kernel? :))

The only reason I have not done that as yet is:

1.  This is a learning experience for me to find out more about Linux by getting this working.
2.  I'm a stubborn sod and I hate being beaten by the PC <G>

Progress so far today:

X server fails to load with the following error in the XFree86.0.log:

(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.13.3
Mouse1 no synaptics event device found (checked 3 nodes)
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(**) Option "SHMConfig" "on"
(**) Option "LeftEdge" "1900"
(**) Option "RightEdge" "5400"
(**) Option "TopEdge" "1900"
(**) Option "BottomEdge" "4000"
(**) Option "FingerLow" "25"
(**) Option "FingerHigh" "30"
(**) Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
(**) Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
(**) Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
(EE) Mouse1 no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
(EE) Mouse1 Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse1"
(II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
(WW) No core pointer registered
No core pointer

I downloaded and installed the synaptics module and it seems to load alright further up in the log.  However there is something about not enough nodes. I read on the Synaptics module website about "some distros have an incomplete /dev directory" and I need to "check /proc/bus/input/devices" for the number of nodes I need.  I do not know what to do about that.  When I typed 'cat devices' in the  /proc/bus/input directory I had no idea what to do with what was displayed.

Kind regards,

Julian

Lynx friendly