Re: [LUG] Network switch problems

On Monday 21 Jun 2004 18:54, Neil Williams wrote:
I've got a SiteCom network switch - 8 port - that connects to each machine
and to the broadband router (which only has 1 ethernet port). I've been
running the network 24/7 since the New Year with a break for my holiday.

When I first came back, the switch wouldn't power on properly. Now it
intermittently cuts out all network traffic! I came back today and most of
the day's network tasks have reported errors or delays.

If you are up for a bit of DIY open it up and inspect the electrolytic caps
that you find (especially in the power supply/regulator section). See if any
of them have a rounded top ( a slight bluge, that is all), they should be
pretty flat. I have seen this before and there are a whole load of dodgy
capacitors out there that cause these types of intermittent problems.

Robin