RE: [LUG] MDK10: Services problem

Mandrake Control Centre seemed to have frogged my rc(x).d entries. Thanks
to Robin's background info, I've got them working.

Only trouble is now the apps are causing a conflict with each other and
httpd (Apache2).

My interpretation of the problem (after a google session): Apache2 doesn't
like loading itself until Tomcat is finished. Eclipse has it's own Tomcat
server built in which means it gets the hump if it's loading at the same
time as my Tomcat service. Running them all manually one after the other
seems to work fine.

So. Now my next problem (Humph). Although sshd is up and running, I can't
seem to ssh into my box (using Putty - so I can start my scripts).
Google's response is a Firewall issue but I haven't got one installed on
the MDK10 box. Putty seems happy enough connecting to my RH7.2 box.

I'm new to Mandrake (I've used RH7.2 for years) - is there anything I
should be aware of regarding ssh that might be causing me grief?

Cheers

mart

try using somting like ksysv (if you use KDE) or to do it by hand have a
look in the /etc/init.d/rc3.d (if you don't start X on boot) or
/etc/init.d/rc5.d (if you do start X on boot) the /etc/init.d/rcx.d
folders
contain simlinks that determine what services to start and stop during
runlevel switching. prefix the simlink with an S to start or a K to kill
the
number is the order it gets executed (lowest=first). To shutdown services
on
system halt reboot place simlinks (with a K prefix) in rc1.d and rc6.d.

Robin (@work)