Re: [LUG] Promoting GNU/Linux through computer shop

On Saturday 03 April 2004 5:51, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
Andrew Rogers wrote:
5) Burn off Knoppix and stick DCLUG address on them.

Incidentally, I took a Knoppix 3.3 CD to a sick WinXP computer and although
the splash screen came up, X failed. Bummer.

That's not such a bad idea.  From what I've heard from friends and
colleagues, a hell of a lot of them have tried Linux in one form or
another, but have hit a problem that they weren't able to solve - and
gave up and went back to Windoze :-(

We've all got our own 'killer application' that simply must work if the
transition is going to lead to permanent change. Mine was Konqueror. When I
first dabbled with Mandrake 7.1, Konqueror 2 (KDE2) was buggy and didn't
implement CSS particularly well. I also had hardware problems with sound
cards and graphics cards. It wasn't until I got an external modem on an old
box and ran everything else using ethernet that I got a system that was
usable on a constant basis. (That was Mandrake 8 / RedHat 7.2).
http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive-old/msg00406.html
http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive-Nov00-May01/msg00548.html
http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive/2002/01/msg00354.html

Overall, it was just over a year before I felt as confident in Linux as I had
been in Win98.

I try to promote Mozilla / Thunderbird / Firebird at all opportunities (in my
case, usually after a call to remove a Windows virus) - it fixes one large
hole in their preventative strategy AND gives them something familiar if they
do later switch.

They generally reckon that Linux is better (at least in terms of
security, stability, etc.) but if they haven't got someone to turn to

Note the someone. I'd welcome ideas on how to make the DCLUG site more useful
for personal contacts. It's such a large area and meetings are sporadic, some
new members would appreciate knowing more about people in their area.

There is a Meeting Survey in the members area that I'd encourage everyone to
complete - especially with full postcodes (street names/numbers are NOT
required). With more data, I can work on a better 'locator' function that can
perhaps use online mapping to bring people together more easily. The data is
completely private - other members can view only in a summarised format - and
I can promise no snail mail will be sent!

Something like "Members within N miles of your postcode" with selections for
5, 15, 25, etc. that produces a report of names, linked to the Members
Register. (The 'location' field of the Register is separate and most people
only put a general area location.) For this to work, I need full postcodes,
not just PL5.

I'm not recommending telephone numbers (although there's nothing stopping
anyone putting a telephone number in the existing data) - email is fine for
initial contacts and individuals can deal with telephone numbers privately.

then it'll have to be flawless for them to not give up.  A venerable
aim, no doubt, and actually one that's nearer than you may think; but
far better that they had someone to learn from, too! :-)

The biggest problem for most new users is winmodems - so many can now be
configured but it requires a little knowledge. Without a connection to the
internet from within Linux, solving problems requires forward planning and
persistence. Broadband users are fine IF they choose a router. Possibly the
biggest boon is if members could add details of their internet connection
configuration to the archive, particularly if it involves internal modems.

http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive/2002/11/msg00036.html
http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive/2002/11/msg00005.html

- --

Neil Williams