Re: [LUG] Promoting GNU/Linux through computer shop

--- Jonathan Melhuish <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

it'll have to be flawless for them to not give
up.

If they have to install it themselves - this is
certainly true, but remember that most people who
complain about Linux being hard to install have never
tried to install windows, it came pre-installed and
configured with their computer. Once this starts
happening with Linux, uptake will speed up
considerably.

Personally I'm reluctant to recommend Linux to people
who I think don't have either experience or an
"aptitude" - it just isn't suitable for beginners and
muppets at the moment. I much prefer to recommend
Firefox/Thunderbird/OpenOffice/etc as a gentler intro
to OSS.