Re: [LUG] "Grip" command-line equivalent?

Robin Cornelius wrote:

On Sunday 07 March 2004 15:09, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

I used to backup my CDs using "Grip", which:

Does anybody know of a command-line tool that provides similar
functionality?  Preferably one that can run in "batch mode" in the
background?

I'm not sure if it does every thing you want but i have been using abcde to backup cd's. It has quite a few options and i think it is just a shell script that wraps other ripper/encoders in an easy to use package. It is partially interactive however with the FreeDB look ups, especially if you are backing up multiple artist CDs or if there are multiple matches in the CDDB database, it asks questions.

Okay, I've installed abcde and it seems to do pretty much what I'm after. There are a few little things, I'd like to change, though:

* WAV files are put in a temporary directory named by the DiscID, rather than artist/album
* I'd like it to spawn oggenc in the background using nohup so that it can continue running when I log out
* I'd like it to run my FLAC-ifier script after it's finished encoding

Fortunately it's just a big BASH script, so hopefully I'll be able to hack it to do what I want. Ahh, I love Open Source :-)

Cheers for the pointer.

Jon